This Is My Dad - Book Party!
The genesis of any story, that almost intangible spark that propels a life and personality and purpose into existence, that compels a fictional character to share their experiences, joys and pain with strangers, is what story telling is really all about for me. It’s like sharing your marriage proposal with strangers: everyone’s is different, unique and oddly alluring even if you don’t know the couple! And I am delighted to have another one to share – a backstory that is, not a wedding proposal (I wish).
In just a handful of weeks, my latest picture book, This Is My Dad, will grace bookshop shelves and online stores across the planet. This is the sort of quiet joy that buoys an author’s spirits. Why? Because it is beginning of the end of a beginning that eventuated years beforehand, in this case around five years ago. If you want to know the full story behind the story of this tender-hearted tale, you’ll have to join me on the obligatory promotional bandwagon – which is more of a hand-drawn cart sporting some modest talents (myself and the incredible, Nicky Johnston included), a lot of well-intentioned meaning and one of the most gorg books Nicky and I have produced to date. For lack of anything more witty and earthshattering to say, I am very very excited to be able to share it with you at long last.
Here are the specs and spiels:
- Main Character: Leo – only child, lover of pizzas, harbourer of creative thinking thanks to his storybook writing mother
- Leo’s Dilemma: Asked to deliver a presentation in front of his class for ‘Tell Us About Your Dad’ day. He agonises over how he can perform this task given he is clueless about his father because he simply does not have one.
- Supporting Cast: Leo’s radical single mum; Mr Ariti his backyard neighbour; Kitty – the pet cat and Miss Reilly – his classroom teacher.
- Publication Date: Early March 2022 in ANZ and mid-March for the rest of the world.
- Publisher: EK Books kids imprint of Exisle Publishing – one of the most coactive and cooperative publishing houses I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with. J
- Something to wet your interest:
|Click on image for Downloadable Fun|
- BIG thing to remember: QLD Book
LaunchParty! Book now for your chance to meet Leo, listen to his story and find out about this book’s fascinating genesis with me and Megan Daley. Book signing, morning tea and special arts and crafts activity included. All welcome - even those from interstate and abroad, because now YOU CAN!
Event reservations now open!
Illustrations and cover art by Nicky Johnston.